3.18.2009

Foodie

Meagan said in a comment that this is turning into foodie blog. oops. Aaron and i always joke about him calling me his "fat wife" in casual conversation. Such as, "Try these cookies made by my fat wife, they're delicious!" The thought of that makes me giggle uproariously. It might not be funny if I was very fat however.

Something that makes me happy is when I make chicken something-or-other and it is moist, tender (kind of like salmon, ahh) and doesn't have a strange chewy or stringy texture that a lot of homemade chicken dishes often have. I found a recipe for this- it turns out the key to good food is high temps for short times (veggies, pizza, naan etc.).

Crunchy parmesan chicken tenders-- you need:
1. extra-virgin olive oil (about 3 tbsp)
2. buttermilk (8 oz or 1/2 pint)
3. chicken (i used 2 breasts and sliced them into 3-inch strips)
4. 1 cup grated parmesan
5. 1 cup italian-seasoned bread crumbs
What's that-- 5 ingredients? Oh yes. The original recipe included a few more in order to make a vinaigrette sauce to dip the chicken in but I tried it and the chicken is better on its own. So forget the sauce.

Marinade the raw chicken in the buttermilk for about 30 minutes
Mix the parm cheese & bread crumbs in a shallow dish or pie pan
Use a tbsp of oil and brush over a baking sheet
Remove chicken from buttermilk and dredge each piece in the crumb mixture covering it completely
Put them on the baking sheet
Drizzle 2 tbsp olive oil over the chicken
Place it in the oven, and bake at 500* for 10 minutes
(then I kept it in under the broiler for another minute to get the tops very browned)

Serve with asparagus and rice, or broccoli and potatoes, what have you. Asparagus just takes another 10 minutes- drizzle olive oil, add sea salt, pepper, and bake at 425* for 10-12 minutes. If you try it, let me know if you notice your pee smells like asparagus, i'm conducting a study. Unofficially.

P.S. I need to get aaron to blog about his rice. It is by far the greatest rice i have ever tasted, in any restaurant, anywhere, my whole life. He has secrets.

2 comments:

  1. Jenn - I have made this before and you are right. It is delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, yeah, let's see how long the "fat wife" thing lasts...I'm only 10 pounds heavier than I would like to be and I think I would be offended if Lance called me that. ;) lol

    I will have to try this, and yes, I would love to know more about Aaron's rice, I have never had it before....who knew he would have a secret rice recipe?

    ReplyDelete