8.24.2012

Workiversary

Today marks the end of my 3rd year of working full-time (Aaron too).  We started our jobs on August 24th 2009. Since then, we've both switched jobs exactly once.  My first one was fine overall, perfectly bearable, but the pay was shameful, I despised taking the bus downtown, I lived in a dark cubicle, and my super nice but crazy doctor boss stressed me the heck out. (Throughout this time, Aaron was busy becoming disenchanted with public accounting.)  In summer 2010, I got a raise of $600. I guiltily started perusing the U of M job postings (guiltily because, well, I was at work). I gleefully applied to my current job (located just one stoplight away from my house! And more substantial monies), and was interviewed by phone while in Provincetown, overlooking the harbor. (Turned out my future boss also loved the Cape)
In September, I gave my 2 weeks (+ a few days) notice. 
I've now been at my current job for 22 months, & will probably stay until we move or birth a child. I feel funny when I reflect over the last 3 years. It makes me think of what people tell new mothers of babies, to remind them to enjoy it: "the days are long, but the years are short."  The last 3 years seem similar. I think it's because at the beginning, the end of 3 years was a big occasion for us-- it would be when we'd reach our savings goal, it would be when we would send our babes an invitation to come join us. And back in 2009, three years felt so far away. Now we look back and think, that was so easy! Let's just keep saving and living and enjoying things as they are. What was originally a challenging new adjustment (moving to Michigan, starting work) has become a comfort zone. Every few weeks, Aaron remarks that it feels like we're on an extended honeymoon. I think this signals to us that our 4th year of working (and 5th of marriage, oh my) should involve change. [To be determined] As the Savage said, "isn't there something in living dangerously?"

To celebrate all these years of sitting behind a desk & staring at spreadsheets, we will eat a pizza and watch this movie (already reserved from Redbox, I'm a plan-aheader!)

P.S. That movie above was very good, but then we got on a roll and watched this one too- highly recommendable. Jack Black. Bernie. Check it.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, please send your babes an invitation to join us. ;)

    ReplyDelete